Listening to your baby's heartbeat for the first time is indescribably magical, to say the least! In the past, you can only hear it when you visit your doctor. Sometimes, your next appointment can feel a little too long for your liking. What if we tell you that you can now hear your baby's heartbeat at the comfort of your own home?
Yes, you can do so using a fetal doppler, also commonly known as "baby heartbeat monitor" or "heart rate monitor for pregnancy". These handheld devices are affordable and easy to operate. Unlike using a stethoscope where only the person on the other end can hear it, fetal dopplers allow everyone in the room share your joy in hearing those precious tiny heartbeats.
There are hundreds of fetal dopplers in the market claiming to be the best baby heart monitor, unfortunately, not all of them work well enough to actually hear a heartbeat. Read our fetal doppler reviews below to find out what is the best at home fetal doppler that suits you most. We also have an in-depth analysis of why you should not obsessed over this little gadget at the end of this post, so make sure you read it too!
1. Top 5 Best Baby Doppler
2. Things to Look For to Find The Best Fetal Heart Doppler
Now that you have read our best fetal doppler reviews, you would more or less have an idea of which model suits you best. In any case, the best fetal doppler should have the following criteria:
1. FDA approved. Because fetal dopplers fall under Class II Devices, they fall under FDA's regulation. Any brand that is not FDA approved, discard it immediately.
2. 3mhz range. Anything less than this will not let you hear anything substantive so forget it if it's not 3mhz range.
3. Small and lightweight. This is a no brainer. You want something that is portable enough for you to carry around whenever you need it.
4. Recording function. This is not a must, but most parents would love to record the heartbeats of their unborn baby for memory's sake. Mothers also utilise this function by recording their own heartbeat to play for their baby once born for soothing effect.
5. Safety. This is a no brainer, you want a device that is safe which is why, again, having the FDA approved logo is so important. You should also follow the usage instruction strictly so as not to overheat the device.
The best fetal heartbeat monitor chosen and reviewed above fulfil all the criteria above so you can shop for them with peace of mind.
3. Why You Should Not Obsessed Over Using A Fetal Doppler
There are many articles in the internet advising why a fetal doppler is not advisable. Amongst all, the very common reasons are:
- False alarm. The reason why parents get a fetal doppler is to have ease of mind but sometimes, it can give you the opposite effect when a heartbeat cannot be detected. You have to understand that your baby may have just changed position, hence you cannot detect his heartbeat so there is no need to go into a frenzy. There are other ways to keep your baby monitored regardless, so it shouldn't sent you panicking into the doctor's room unnecessarily.
- Becoming obsessed. You may get a lil too excited and want to hear baby's heartbeat every 10 minutes. You should stop yourself from doing this because first of all, you shouldn't use a doppler for prolonged period because it is, after all, an electrical device. Secondly, even though it is the same as your doctor's ultrasound, too much of it is not advisable for health reasons. So, the key point is - NOT to get obsessed with it.
- Leave it to the professionals. There are advices saying that checking a baby's heart beat is best left with the professionals. It takes years of training and practising to be able to know what sound you're looking for and only doctors are able to do so. Whilst this is completely true and we cannot argue about it, many fetal dopplers nowadays are able to perform what they promise. We agree that it should not be substituted by professional medical advice and should not be used for diagnostic/medical purposes but if you want a listening device just to hear the sounds of your unborn for your enjoyment, then we think a fetal doppler will serve the purpose.
Despite all, we cannot deny its benefit in encouraging fetal-parent bonding during early pregnancy, and many parents would agree that it is one of the best experience they have ever had. The feeling of being able to hear you baby's heartbeat and sounds is indescribable, one that you would not know until you have experienced it, and it can make you feel so much closer to your little one as they grow in the womb.
More importantly, when used sparingly and adequately, fetal dopplers provide parents the peace of mind to be able to check on their unborn little one, in the comfort of their own home. More so, for those that are experiencing a difficult pregnancy, or have suffered from unfortunate miscarriages in the past, the comfort and assurance provided in such situation are immeasurable.
So, the key of reaping the benefits of a doppler is to use it in moderation. Really, this is the same as with everything else in life, anything too much will not be beneficial. This is the same even for the best baby heart rate monitor in the world. Also, manage your own expectation - you cannot expect a doppler to work the same way as your doctor's sonogram. In any case, you should check with your doctor first before making any decision.
While you are at it, why not check out the following which might be of interest to you?