When it comes to feeding your baby, you only want the best for him or her. This is what we believe to be every parent's will and desire but let's face it, doing so is getting harder and harder in today's society.
Just how many news have you seen so far about the existence of harmful ingredients in the food that we adults eat? Chemicals, preservatives, even antibiotics are found and what's worse, is the existence of fake food - honey that's not even honey but just a bunch of sweetener and chemicals put together. And surely you've heard of the milk scandal back in 2008?
Now, you certainly do not want to be feeding your little one with all these toxics, at least not when it's within your control. Which is why more and more parents are leaning towards organic food nowadays, and that includes starting from as early as the infant formula that baby consumes.
1. Benefits of Organic Infant Formula
If you don't already know, 'organic' refers to the way agricultural products are grown and processed. Here in the U.S, when crops are termed 'organic', it means they must be grown without the use of synthetic pesticides, bioengineered genes (GMOs), petroleum-based fertilizers, and sewage sludge-based fertilizers. Likewise for livestock, they must have access to the outdoors and be given organic feed.
1. Fewer pesticides. Chemicals like herbicides and insecticides are not used which mean there is no such residue remaining on/in the food, in turn, babies are not exposed to these harmful chemicals at their vulnerable stage where everything else is still developing (immune, hormonal and nervous system).
2. No antibiotics, growth hormones, or fed animal byproducts. These are banned, instead, organically-raised animals are given more space to roam around and have access to the outdoors to keep them healthy. With no animal byproducts fed to livestock, the risk of mad cow disease (BSE) is also decreased and there is no need to worry about the creation of antibiotic-resistant strains of bacteria.
3. Fresher. No doubt about this one, with no preservatives used, the food produced is definitely fresher which means they should be consumed as soon as possible.
4. GMO free. Likewise, Genetically Modified Organisms or genetically engineered food (DNA that has been altered in ways that cannot occur in nature or in traditional crossbreeding, most commonly in order to be resistant to pesticides or produce an insecticide) is not present in organic food.
5. Richer in certain nutrients. Studies have found that levels of certain nutrients, including omega-3 fatty acids and antioxidants, were up to 50 percent higher in organic meat and milk than in conventionally raised versions.
By all means, we're not saying that only organic food is healthy - standard food is packed with the same nutrients and vitamins too (you just have to find the safe ones!) and they are comparatively much more cheaper than organic for most households to afford. Nonetheless, there are certain benefits that undeniably only organic food possess (e.g. people with allergies to foods, chemicals, or preservatives often find their symptoms lessen or go away when they eat only organic foods), which is why organic is the way to go for so many parents for their baby.
2. Best Organic Infant Formula
Below are our reviews on some of the best organic baby formula available in the market, including our answers and recommendations to some of the most asked questions: what is the best formula to supplement breastfeeding, the best infant formula for breastfed babies and generally, what is the best infant formula for gassy or colic babies.